Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, August 4, 2017

FO Friday: the Tour de Fleece edition

Happy Friday!

I've been meaning to get this posted for awhile but it just hasn't happened. Sue me, things happened along the way.

Anyway, we're here because it's Friday and that means it's FO Friday.....and today's post is brought to you by Tour de Fleece, which ended July 23rd.....it's now August 4th......I've been a little lax, I suppose.

Tour de Fleece did not yield nearly as much handspun as last year......but I still accomplished a satisfactory amount (by my standards).



My first skein of yarn started out as a 4.2 oz braid of Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk roving (70/30 blend) that I had purchased at Wisconsin Sheep & Wool in 2011. It's been hanging out in my stash ever since.....

So, the basics: Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving (1)

Bobbin 1: started & finished on July 1, 2017
Bobbin 2: started on July 1, 2017; finished on July 2, 2017
Two-Ply: started & finished on July 7, 2017

I wound up with about 406 yds, which makes this a fingering weight yarn...I'm kind of excited about that. However, it's my usual thick-n-thin so there are spots where it's almost cobweb and others where it's almost worsted. It works.

I still have a little bit left on one of the bobbins so I'll probably do an Andean Ply at some point or I might just do an epic chunky with all my random leftover bits on my bobbins.




My second skein of yarn also started out as a braid of Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving (again, a 70/30 blend) in a slightly darker color (more purple, less white than the first one). It was also purchased at Wisconsin Sheep & Wool in 2011.

So, the basics on this one: Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving (2) 

Bobbin 1: started July 2, 2017; finished July 3, 2017
Bobbin 2: started July 7, 2017; finished July 9, 2017
Two-Ply: started & finished on July 10, 2017

This one wound up a teensy bit heavier of a yarn, with about 348 yds, making it probably a sport weight but, again, thick-n-thin...

I was also left with a fair amount on one of the bobbins so, again, I'll either need to do an Andean Ply or some sort of "clear the bobbins" deal...I've not decided yet.






These last two started out two braids of Miss Babs BFL that I picked up in a destash a couple years ago (I want to say almost 3 years ago now). This came in two 4ish oz braids so I split it into two skeins (and four bobbins).

The basics on these: Miss Babs BFL

Bobbin 1: started July 11, 2017; finished July 12, 2017
Bobbin 2: started July 12, 2017; finished July 13, 2017
Bobbin 3: started & finished July 14, 2017
Bobbin 4: started & finished July 16, 2017
Two-Ply 1 (bobbins 3 & 4): started & finished July 19, 2017
Two-Ply 2 (bobbins 1 & 2): started & finished July 21, 2017


I had some leftovers on two of the bobbins so I'll probably have either two Andean Ply minis or I'll ply them together and then have another Andean Ply. Or not. I don't know.

The first two-ply had about 306 yds and the second one was about 322 yds. These were a bit heavier than the Sandy's Palette, probably a solid DK weight on both.



Sooooo, there's my FOs for Tour de Fleece. I expected to have double that but injury and life got in the way. I'm satisfied with what I finished.

Do I have any idea what these are going to grow up to be? Nooooope.....

I hope you're having a lovely Friday :)

1 comment:

  1. they both look fantastic! Love the tweedy appearance you've achieved with the ply.

    ReplyDelete