Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, June 16, 2017

FO Friday :)

Happy Friday! I've had another little flurry of finishes that I need to discuss. Or blather on about. Take your pick.....

Messed Up Moss (link to Project Page)

Pattern: Messed Up Moss by Renee Anne (yes, that's me!)

Time Frame: started January 4, 2017; finished May17, 2017

Yarn: Loops & Threads Woolzee in Crimson (~1.5 skeins; ~110 yds)

Needles: US #10.5 (6.5 mm)

Size: To fit Little Man

Modification(s): None. As I'm in the process of making this into a more cohesive pattern, I needed to reknit it so I can figure out yardage and sizing. So, the scarf is about 60" long and used about 110 yds of bulky yarn so I can adjust and estimate from there.

Thoughts: There's no reason other than laziness for the amount of time it took me to knit this scarf. It's bulky yarn on big needles and the pattern is easy to memorize. I hope I don't have to make it again for awhile, though :)

Vanilla Socks (link to Project Page)

Pattern: None but there are elements of the Vanilla Latte socks and I used the Double Gusset Heel Decreases and the Modified Eye of Partridge heel flap....

Time Frame: started March 30, 2017; finished June 8, 2017

Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug in Teals (more than 318 yds...but I'm not sure how much exactly)

Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm)

Size: 64 sts - to fit me :)

Modification(s): There's not really a pattern so there aren't any modifications to be had.

Thoughts: I learned a valuable lesson with these socks: longer than usual socks + less skein yardage = I needed to break into the second skein (which I luckily already had). I usually have a good sized min-skein leftover when I knit socks so I thought I'd chance making them a bit longer...neglecting to account for the yarn I was using having almost 100 yds less than a "normal" skein of sock yarn. Oops. Luckily, I had a second skein of this yarn. I now have enough left for ankle socks (I think).

Stormageddon's Vest (link to Project Page)

Pattern: George's Vest by Crystal Erb Junkins

Time Frame: started October 17, 2017; finished June 9, 2017

Yarn: YOTH Little Brother in Caviar (less than 435 yds)

Needles: US #4 (3.5 mm); US #6 (4 mm) and US J (6 mm) crochet hook

Size: 4t-6t

Modification(s): I left the buttons off the front. I may still add them but I don't think they're needed and they serve no functional purpose.

Thoughts: This is a well written and well thought out pattern. The only thing I really was not a fan of: the single crochet around the neckband. I thought it should have had an inch or so of the twisted ribbing like the armholes and the bottom ribbing. Also, it was a pain in the ass for me to do. I wound up having to go to a J hook because the first two times I did it, it wound up not being able to fit over Stormageddon's head. I know I have tension issues with crochet but it shouldn't have been that bad! Clearly I have more issues than I thought. I made the largest size on purpose and it should fit Stormageddon in the fall/winter. It's a bit long on him right now. Little Man said he looked like he was wearing a dress....oops. He'll grow. The pattern is "unavailable" but if you go to the wayback machine, you can find it (and I think the link on the pattern page takes you to the archived version). Aside from that, I don't know if it's because of the yarn used in the original, but I feel like I didn't need even close to the same amount of yarn. The yarn used comes in 385 yds/skein and for the largest size, you need two I'm guessing you just barely get into the second skein because I used less than one skein of the yarn I had (which comes in 435 yd skeins). So, I have a bunch of extra yarn (oh darn).

Anyway, that's all I have for FO Friday :) I should be back tomorrow with my latest stash enhancements. And then again on Sunday for my Year of Projects update :)

No comments:

Post a Comment