Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, June 9, 2017

FO Friday: The Pussy Hat Edition

Happy Friday :)

Today's FO Friday post is going to be a bit different. I had a total of eleven Pussy Hats. The first one was discussed here and was not part of the "big group" that I recently finished. As such, I won't discuss it here again.

Of the "big group" of nine, the first two were discussed here (and are included his post, as it's about the entire grouping). But that still leaves seven for that group and another lone one that I've not discussed.

So, let's get going. First of all, photo :)




These are the finished nine that went to Santa Rosa last weekend (and if you've already seen this photo in it's original, sideways, non-cropped glory, here's a better one). Each one is a little (or in one case, a lot) different from the other ones.

So, the basic information:

Pattern: Loosely based on the Pussy Hat Project and several others

Time Frame: The first one was started February 13, 2017 and the last one was finished May 26, 2017

Yarn: Eight of them are made with Knit Picks Mighty Stitch in Cotton Candy, which is a worsted weight acrylic. The last one (and obviously different one) was made with Knit Picks Mighty Stitch Bulky in Blush as well as leftover bits of the worsted Mighty Stitch held double with the Nashua Creative Focus Superwash from the very very very first one I made in January (that isn't part of this grouping). The eight hats are all around 50g of yarn, each, though I did have some push and pull on that number (it's why I had leftovers for the ninth hat).

Needles: Eight were made using US #8, though for the ribbing, I used either US #4 or US #5 (whichever one I could find at the moment). The last one was done on US #8 (ribbing) and US #10 (body).

Size: To fit adult male (I tested them all on Husband's head)

Modification(s): As these weren't 100% based on any specific pattern, there weren't any modifications to be had. However, each one is different from the others, mostly by stitch count but also by ribbing. I had some that were 2x2 ribbing, others that were 1x3 or 3x1 or 2x3 and I think one was 1x1. The stitch counts were also different. I know I had one that was 104 sts and one that was 88 sts and the bulky one was 80 sts, I think. All the hats were Kitchenered closed, meaning I will not need to look up Kitchener directions for a very long time.

Thoughts: These are easy, relatively mindless knitting. I don't actually mind making them but I don't know that I want to make them in bulk again. One here and there is fine but I'm all Pussy Hatted out at this point.


And lastly, this one:



The big difference between this one and the ones above, besides the yarn being bulky and held double: this is for a baby. See, I like to live on the wild side and hardly ever do gauge swatches. So, I blindly CO 48 sts, thinking it had to fit an adult male. Hahaha. No. It barely went onto Stormageddon's head (I tested after the ribbing). Soooo, rather than pull it all out and start over, I made this one for my little devil niece (she's only 6 months old right now so it should be perfect for fall/winter). I used about 81 g of yarn, which is just over 110 yds (but keep in mind that it was held double). I used another 105 g for the ninth one above, meaning I have about 14 g left (split into two balls)....which is about 19 yds. I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with 19 yds of bulky weight pink yarn but I'm sure I can think of something.

So, except the baby hat, they've all been delivered and worn with all the pride they have (and since June is Pride, they have lots of it right now).




I might finish something new soon. I might have to do another FO Friday! But, in the meantime, I'll be back on Sunday with another installment of my Self-Imposed Year of Projects

2 comments:

  1. I made a Kit Kat hat for a former Sharka mum one year when she was going through chemo. That pattern was used by some when women were knitting pussy hats for the marches. She wore hers for the SF march. I like your striped one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Pussy hats, I only knit one, impressive hat knitting stamina to do 11. I adore the idea of a baby sized one!

    ReplyDelete