Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #12

Happy Sunday! We know why we're here so let's get moving :)

Finished Objects (FOs):
1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
5. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
6. Pussy Hat: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
7. Pussy Hat: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017

Nope. Nothing to see here.


Works-in-Progress (WIPs):
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
6. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
7. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017
8. Pussy Hat: started March 9, 2017
9. Stomping Grounds collection: started February 26, 2017 (no project page)

So, I noticed something when I went through project bags late last week: I have a prototype hat listed and I have no project anywhere for it. My suspicion is that I frogged it and intended to restart it (again, obviously) and never got around to it in favor of other things (Pussy Hats, most likely)...so I have yarn somewhere in a bag (and I think I know which one) and a project that needs attention.

Oops.

Aside from that.....well, my Smooth Operator Sock has a heel.


It was an interesting heel. I've never really done an afterthought heel (I don't think) so I can't say for sure how different Susan's way is but it's different for me and that counts. Now that I've finished that part, I'm back to working my way down the foot. And then I basically get to repeat the process for the foot.

Stormageddon's Vest is on time-out. It hasn't been uncooperative or anything but I need some time to just....sit and finish it. All I have left are picking up the armhole stitches and finishing those...and then the single-crochet around the neck. Oh, and weaving in ends and washing/blocking.

Morvarch.....let's talk about Morvarch.....it grew a little bit this past week!


It doesn't look all that different from when I worked on it last but I promise it grew a few rounds! I actually managed to somehow get it onto one circular in a magic loop type of sequence. No idea how I did that and I have since fixed it so it's back on two circulars. I was sitting in the hospital's surgical waiting room area while I was working on it and I suspect that I just had too many dangly things in front of me (I was sitting at a desk-like cubicle) and I grabbed the wrong one. It worked out in the end but I couldn't figure out why I was having so much difficulty getting the stitches to move around. Oh well.

The Messed Up Moss scarf that I've been making for Little Man is ever-closer to the end. I finished the first ball of yarn and it's almost long enough. I think I'm going to add at least another foot or two, however. I tried it on him on Friday and while it would work at the current length, I also want him to be able to wear it for a couple years. So, longer is better!

And lastly, the Pussy Hat. Again. I've finished the ribbing and I'm working on the stockinette section. I changed things on the ribbing so it's a 3x1 ribbing, which I'm not sold on. I think it would have worked better as a 1x3 instead. Oh well. I have a few more to make so I can try it on a different one if I feel like it. But, it's growing. I hope to finish it up this next week but we'll see how things go.

Lastly, you may have noticed I added a design project to my WIPs...and that it's backdated because, really, that's when I started it. There's no project page for any of this and it's in the very beginning stages but so far, I have a collection in my head of about 14 patterns.....and a bunch of things I've never done before including two-color knitting, Swedish twined knitting, knitting from the toe-up.....yeah. I see a lot of swatching in my future. ::sigh:: I hate swatching. And some other learning, as well...like people keep talking about yarn dominance in multi-strand knitting and while I can see the difference in swatches, I don't understand how it happens. I mean, you knit with one color, switch to another....how does it make something more or less dominant. I suppose I'm going to have to drag out a few books and read. And swatch. Ick. Did I mention that I detest swatching? I want the yarn for projects, not swatching. ::sigh:: Moving along...


17 UFOs in 2017

1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017 **DONE**
5. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
6. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17, 2016
7. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017 **DONE**
8. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016 **DONE**
9. Design: Susan's Hat
10. Design: Little Man's Baby Blanket
11. Design: Paradiddle Socks (aka Little Drummer Girl)
12. Design: Pacific Waves Hat
13. Design: Fall in San Francisco Hat
14. Stash Inventory (photos, in Rav database) **DONE**
15. Dystopian Novel
16. Doctor Who blanket (1)
17. Doctor Who blanket (2)

Nothing to see here. Move along now.


And in my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" lists...

Secret Sock Club Bags - Pick a bag at random; do pattern with yarn
1. Scotch & Soda Scarf (using Briar Rose Fibers Wistful, leftover from my Icarus Shawl)
2. Jabberwonky (using KP Felici in Abracadabra)
3. If You Know Where To Go (using KP Felici in Green Veggies)
4. Baby Surprise Jacket (using....htNEVELE something something)

These are the only ones that are currently set up. I have plans to make a few more but we'll see how things go. With all the WIPs and such I have going, this may not be a good idea at this point. Or maybe I'll pull things from the lists below and put them into bags. I don't know.


Stranded Knitting
1. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat (kit)
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking (kit)
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie (kit)
4. Xanadu Snowflake Cowl
5. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Little Man (see also: Designs)
6. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Stormageddon (see also: Designs)
7. Unknown Christmas Stocking for Husband (see also: Designs)


Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Miss C (SIL's foster child)
2. Stuffed toy for Mr. K (SIL's foster child)
3. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
4. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
5. Undetermined hat for Little Man
6. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
7. Mittens for Little Man
8. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
3. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs Northumbria with modifications)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)


Christmas/Charity Bin:
1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:
1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection (everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.) *started*


Spinning:
1. Miss Babs BFL
2. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (1)
3. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk (2)
4. Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batt
5. Wash & start processing Alpaca fleece from Lambtown
6. Wash & start processing Merino fleece from Lambtown


Other:
1. Stitch markers
2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)




This week has been a bust, for the most part. I mean, yeah, I got to work on some projects but the reason for working on those projects: spending time in the hospital with Husband. Husband's surgery was on Tuesday afternoon. He had his tonsils removed and had his soft palate reshaped, both of which are incredibly painful on their own...and he had them done together. The surgery itself went well, he went home on Wednesday night (we got home around 8pm), he's on a regular course of medication (every 2ish hours he gets something), he's drinking enough fluids, but he's still on a liquid diet at this point. He tried jello on Friday and it did not go well. He has been able to handle sorbet and popsicles so we have more of that on order (it's being delivered this morning - I love Amazon Fresh). 

So, between the lack of sleep from getting up every 2ish hours, the boys, and life in general.....yeah, this week has been a bust. 

But, not to be outdone, I had to take Little Man to the doctor yesterday morning (yes, on a Saturday - they have limited hours on Saturday mornings). He'd been complaining about his ear a bit, which we just attributed to having swimming lessons on Thursday and getting some water in his ear. He's also had a cold for...well, quite awhile, honestly, but yesterday morning, Husband noticed that his left eye was pretty red and gunky. The dreaded pink eye! So, I took him to the doctor to confirm and it turns out that in addition to pink eye, he also has an ear infection. ::sigh:: He looked at himself in the mirror at the doctor's office and said, "oh, that's what _____'s eye looked like yesterday at school" (name redacted to protect the innocent). In other words, one of the kids in his class had it and Little Man (and probably everyone else in the class) was exposed. I sent out an email to the parents that basically said there's a possibility that the kids were exposed and to keep a watch for it, as he had mentioned another student with the symptoms at school. So, you know, keeping me on my toes!

Other than that, not much else has been happening. I mean, I didn't really even take any photos, except for knitting, which are posted above. Too many other things to worry about, I guess. 

Oh, my father-in-law was here for the week. I actually took him to the airport early Saturday morning...very early...like 3:15am early. Friday night was a rough one, to say the least. Sooooo.......nothing else is going on around here. I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend! Maybe next weekend I'll have interesting things to say. Maybe even some photos. 

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how you stay sane. Glad your husband's surgery went well. I hope he is experiencing a good comfort level. Yikes on the pink eye! I don't know why schools are more informative about stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think it's because the parents didn't know when they sent said child to school. We got something last week that one of the kids had strep and the kids were probably exposed. ::sigh:: I'll let the school know tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. That sucks. Thanks for droppin' by today.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Renee...I can't believe you can even blog....you must be exhausted after that week! My son had to be on a soft diet after he got out of the hospital and it is no fun but either is trying to swallow anything else. I hope your husband heals fast. I hope you can rest this week a bit too and take care of YOU or you will be getting ill next and then what are THEY all going to do? LOL! I remember those days and although I love my children (4)those were trying times! LOL! I love the projects you're working on and you have gotten quite a lot done (all those February finishes! Wow!)...knowing you....despite it all you will have some in March too. I hope you all heal up and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are getting more sleep now. If I need help with my pussy hat I know where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you share what you learn about yarn dominance in multi-strand knitting. Not that I'm likely to use the information for years to come (if ever), but I find this sort of thing interesting. As a beginning knitter I feel like I make great strides when I actually understand the why behind something - whether my actual knitting improves with the knowledge is another thing altogether. You're so far beyond me, this is likely all so unimportant (what I write), but I'm just letting you know I'd find it interesting. :) Hope your hub's surgery helps him to be more resilient to sick-making germs. I'm sure that is the point on having the surgery. Stay strong, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah, that sounds like a terrible week (well, except for the sorbet and popsicle parts).

    I'm interested to see how your multi-strand knitting. I'm just about to cast on some 2-C socks, and am trying to decide how to proceed vis-a-vis dominance. Usually I just keep the lighter colour as dominant so that it doesn't get overwhelmed or disappear into the fabric. I have to say that although I love the look of stranded knitting I'm usually entirely over it after just one small project. Could just be me though.

    I hope next week is a better week!

    ReplyDelete