Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Friday, March 29, 2013

Yarn Review #3: Madelinetosh

Hello, hello, hello! And welcome to my third installment of Yarn Reviews. I am your host, Renee Anne, and I'm running a bit behind this month.

With everything going on with moving and unpacking and not finding things and so on and so forth, things like my blog have had to sit on the back burner on simmer. ::sigh:: 

But, it's time to have a Yarn Review!

The intention is that once a month, roughly about mid-month (depending on the day - Year of Projects are on Sundays, WIP Wednesdays are on Wednesdays, and FO Fridays are on Fridays so rarely will you see a Yarn Review on those days), I'll do a yarn review, which may or may not include multiple types of the same yarn or multiple different yarns on the same day. The yarns in question, unless specified, are coming from my stash, purchased by me, for me, and for my use. I've been given no money or other non-monetary gifts for these yarn reviews. The reviews are of my opinion and do not necessarily coincide with other fiber enthusiasts, though they may.

There. My disclaimer notice (of sorts). 


Like I said, I'm running a bit late this month.....but that's okay. I've picked a goodie for this month (but, truthfully, they're all goodies) so let's get on with it!

Madelinetosh DK

1. Information about the Company: "Madelinetosh began in 2006 with an idea of creating an artist’s palette of hand knitting yarns, fulfilling a desire for the perfect hue. Enthused with a love of painting and influenced by the rich history of art in textiles, Madelinetosh sought to create a color palette guided by the subtle nuances and layered depth of colors found in the natural world.

Selecting natural fibers that were soft and supple to the touch and enjoyable to handle, we began our dye process by applying multiple colors to the fiber in thin glazes, adding true depth and dimension.

Today, we offer hundreds of colorway selections in a veritable spectrum of different shades and hues, a worthy palette for all to enjoy." - quoted directly from their website (29 March, 2013).

There's more to the story, however. Madeline Tosh was an actual person. Born Lillian Madeline Atkins in 1900, in 1912, she legally changed her name to Madeline Tosh (yes, she was twelve years old). The purveyor of Madelinetosh Yarns is her great grandchild...or, rather, one of them (I assume there are more as Madeline Tosh had nine children of her own). 

2. Other Yarns Offered: The list is quite extensive but includes Tosh Sock, DK, and Lace; Tosh Merino, Merino Light, and Merino DK, Pashmina; and Tosh Vintage. There are more than these and you can check them all out on their website.

3. Information about The Yarn (specific to what I'm reviewing - in this case Tosh DK):
     - Official Name: Tosh DK
     - Fiber Content: 100% Superwash Merino
     - Skein Weight & Yardage:  4 oz (?) & 225 yds (206 m)
     - Gauge: 20-22 sts/4"
     - Weight: DK (though it was renamed in January 2010 from Tosh Worsted)
     - Washing Instructions: Machine wash cold, air dry flat
     - Where to Purchase: All over....here's a list of their online retailers, you can also look on their website for a retailer near you. 
 
4. Review (the reason you're here):
     - Pros
          1. Machine washable: this is a HUGE pro in my book because I have a toddler....
          2. Variety of colors: I love that there are 140 different colorways in Tosh DK
          3. Soft: Great for things up near your face or full garments...also, great for baby items!
          4. Stitch definition is fabulous
          5. Blocks out nicely
          6. Springy and bouncy to touch...which translates to me wanting to bury my entire head in the pile of Tosh DK
 
     - Cons
          1. Somewhat expensive: if you're buying a skein or two for a small project (hat, mittens, scarf), it's not horrible (about $19/skein) but if you need 10 skeins, it's a little expensive.
          2. The colors may bleed during washing...but they don't tend to bleed into each other, if that makes any sense. Let's just say that my sink water turned a lovely shade of green when I blocked the hat I made (but the green didn't turn the yellow a funny shade). If you're going to toss it in the washer, I recommend using a Shout Color Catcher to pick up the dye that will probably bleed.
          3. Everything is dyed in small batches. So, if you're planning a large project, make sure you buy your yarn from the same batch or you will probably end up with two very different colors. There are no dyelots so you have to be careful. Basically, use common sense :)
          4. Dye issues: Once in awhile you'll find a spot where the dye didn't soak in all the way. Call it a fun characteristic of the yarn, get over it, and move on. It happens. 
 
Here are some items with my Tosh DK
 
Go Pack, Go!
 
Nolan for Nellie
 
Sadly, I either have no more Tosh DK in my stash or I just haven't been fussed with getting my stash updated...oops. 
 
 
I should be back soon (probably Saturday) with a book review, and then my Self-Imposed Year of Projects update on Sunday...pending that I get a chance to write it. As it's Easter this weekend, we have friends visiting from Los Angeles so I don't know if I'll get to my proper updates. We shall see.
 
I hope you've enjoyed my look at Tosh DK :)

4 comments:

  1. I have a skein of Tosh that I treated myself to. I guess I am waiting for a special occasion to use it. Perhaps it is the price tag that makes me think it shouldn’t be just another hat. It should be a birthday hat or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah until I start making my own money Mad tosh is on the no-no list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally didn't know those tidbits of Madelinetosh history. I still hand wash this yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I indulged in a lot of this yarn to knit myself an extravagant cardigan and when I wet blocked it, it grew immense and I freaked. I threw it in the drier (I said I freaked) and it came back to original size, only very slightly felted. I would love to hear from other knitters if they've had issues with blocking and especially if anyone has advice or alternatives.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete